As court is not sitting until Friday I thought this might be a good opportunity to take a step back from the day to day reports and try and discuss what point the trial has reached, starting with the prosecution case so far.
The original indictment against the two accused, (which can be found Here) is a long document so I'll try and summarise it as best I can. All of the charges in it relate to the civil trial Sheridan vs News International held in Edinburgh in 2006 (see Here for the Wiki on that case) and state that Thomas Sheridan did commit perjury by denying:
- He had been to the Cupids club in Manchester.
- He had admitted this at the SSP executive of 9/11/06 and on various other occasions.
- He was in a "sexual relationship with Katrine Trolle and Anvar Khan
- He had been given the minutes of the "9/11" meeting by Alan Green at the Golden Pheasant
- He had attended an event at the Moathouse hotel in Glasgow on 14/06/2002 (and various charges relating to that)
So far we have heard from these 21 witnesses (twice in the case of the first 8 as Mr Sheridan re-examined them after he decided to conduct his own defence)
- Barbara Scott, former SSP minute secretary
- Allan Green, former SSP national secretary
- Felicity Garvie, former personal assistant to Tommy Sheridan.
- Carolyn Leckie, former MSP
- Catriona Grant, former SSP co-chair
- Colin Fox, SSP joint national spokesperson
- Duncan Rowan, former SSP regional organiser
- Allison Kane, former SSP treasurer
- Joanna Harvie, former editor Scottish Socialist Voice
- Rosie Kane, former MSP
- Katrine Trolle, SSP candidate
- Gary Clark, footballer and friend of Sheridan
- Ruth Adamson, housemate of Katrine Trolle
- Ralph Barnett, acquaintance of Katrine Trolle
- Steven Nimmo, former SSP regional organiser
- Ritchie Venton, SSP regional organiser
- Frances Curran, SSP joint national spokesperson
- Kevin McVey, SSP national secretary
- Anvar Khan, journalist
- Susan Dobbie,
- Elizabeth Quinn, neighbour of Anvar Khan
- Alan McCombes, SSP executive member
- John Penman, former SSP regional organiser
- Tony Cumberbirch, Cupids worker
- Louise Cumberbirch, Cupids worker
- Iain Campbell, former SSP regional organiser
- Jim McVicar, former Glasgow city councillor
- Charlie McCarthy, SSP candidate
- Jack Ferguson, SSP activist
- Liam Young, SSP branch organiser
- George McNeilage, SSP activist
Of these witnesses 14 attended the SSP executive of 9/11/04 and all but one have testified that Mr Sheridan did admit to attending the Cupids club. The exception so far, John (Jock Penman), stated that Mr Sheridan had admitted a relationship with Anvar Khan in the early 1990's but nothing else. There have been two documents shown in court that purport to be minutes of that meeting plus handwritten notes that the prosecution claims were written contemporaneously by Barbara Scott. The minutes are a hotly disputed piece of evidence and much of the testimony has also discussed a further executive meeting on 24/11/04 and if the minutes were presented and formally approved there.
Alan Green has testified he showed the disputed minute to Mr Sheridan on Friday 12th May 2006 when he met Mr Sheridan at the Golden Pheasant public house. The other attendee at that meeting, Colin Fox, was said to be away from the pair when this occurred.
Duncan Rowan has told the court of a meeting he had with a News of the World journalist who secretly taped him naming Katrine Trolle as having an affair with Mr Sheridan
Colin Fox has testified that he did meet Mr Sheridan at the Beanscene cafe on 18/06/06 and that Mr Sheridan did attempt to influence him to change the evidence he was about to give at the Court of Session
The court has also heard from three people who allegedly accompanied Mr Sheridan on the Cupids trip. Gary Clarke, Katrine Trolle and Anvar Khan and also one witness, Tony Cumberbirch who claimed to have seen Mr Sheridan at the club (one other witness Louise Cumberbirch did recall a visit by a group of Scottish people but could not identify any of them in court)
Ruth Adamson and Ralph Burnett both told the court that they had met Mr Sheridan in the company of Katrine Trolle in a house in Dundee in October 2004.
Elizabeth Quinn told the court that she had seen Tommy Sheridan and Anvar Khan together in her flat on the 11th August 2003, and understood from a subsequent conversation with Ms Khan that the two had had sex together in her bedroom.
Susan Dobbie testified that she had attended a house party in Glasgow with Anvar Khan, Andrew McFarlane and Tommy Sheridan. No date was given.
Four SSP members in the list have testified that Mr Sheridan made admissions to them in 2005 in the "Rat and Parrot' public house or in Mr Sheridan's car. Jack Ferguson stated that John Penman had told him that he would "lie for Tommy Sheridan."
Mr McNeilage testified that a video tape shown in court was an accurate record of a meeting between him and Tommy Sheridan in November 2004. In the tape the person identified by him as Mr Sheridan says he did visit the Cupids club and also that he had admitted being there to the SSP executive. Mr McNeilage has also told the court of meeting Mr Bob Bird, the Scottish editor of the News of the World, a meeting at which Mr Bird stripped to his "boxer shorts" to show he had no listening devices on his person, and of the £200,000 payment he received from the Newspaper for the video tape.
We still have 3-4 weeks of the Crown case to go (according to an estimate given to the jury by Lord Bracadale last week) so there is clearly much evidence we have not heard.
Our next post will deal with the defence so far,